We’ve all been given bad Ministry advice. Some of this bad advice comes from ignorance, and some of it comes from unsaved people. Some of it is well intentioned, and some of it is intended to hurt. Whatever the situation, there is just some advice that is bad. Here are my top 10 that I’ve been given in no particular order.
- You’ll have plenty of time for missions later: This was well intentioned but badly stated. The intent behind the statement was to encourage me not to go on a mission trip while my wife was pregnant, but that’s not how it came out.
- There needs to be a mystique surrounding the pastor: I still don’t know where this one came from or what was meant. I don’t think I’ll ever figure it out.
- Don’t make close friends in your church: I was told that pastor’s were taught this back in the day. We’re already lonely. Why would I want to intentionally make myself any more lonely?
- If you don’t show up at the hospital at 3 am, they’ll think you don’t care: I may get some pushback on this one, but there is nothing I can do at three in the morning. I usually show up at 6 or 7 when I’m more prepared and clear headed. I’ve never had anyone accuse me of not caring when I’ve done this.
- Visiting church members is like putting change in your pocket: I understand this one to a point, but we don’t visit our church members because we want to be able to call in favors later. We visit church members because we love them.
- You shouldn’t worry about how the church stewardsyour tithe: I should always tithe, but the church’s stewardship of my tithe is none of my concern?
- Welcome to real ministry: I had been leading worship for seven years, but now I was involved in “real ministry”. Please don’t say this to anyone. It’s annoying and insensitive.
- Always preach from the KJV: I got this one recently, but thankfully, it did not come from a church member.
- Keep your struggles to yourself and never let them see you cry: Thats just really bad advice.
- You’re not good with people: What this person meant was, “You’re not good with people like me,” which is very very true.
Those are my top ten. Have you ever received bad Ministry advice? Am I wrong on any of these points?